So today is going to be an interesting experience at work. My boss decided to throw a curve ball in my direction and she scheduled me to wait tables instead of drive. It'll be interesting to see how it works out...I'm used to dealing with customers at their residences, not at a table! But in all honesty, my car could use the break, so I'm looking forward to it.
I'm also looking forward to Thanksgiving. I figure this will be an opportunity to redeem myself to my extended family, as it will be the first time I've been to a family function since I got clean. Last Thanksgiving was awful. I nearly OD'd in the bathroom at my grandmother's house. Not fun. Looking back, however, I now see that what I perceived as words of disgust from them were simply words of caring. I thought that they just wanted to judge me and break me down, but in reality they just cared and wanted me to beat my addiction.
This year is also going to be different at Thanksgiving because unlike as in the past 3 years, I will not be drinking with the rest of my family. They do allow me to drink the wine at dinner, but I figure it would be best not to be tempted, because to Josh, moderation does not exist when it comes to alcohol. When Josh drinks, he drinks out the whole bar. Therefore, I just won't drink at all. :)
**To Dad & Mom--
When you pick up Alex on Wednesday, tell him I send my best wishes and look forward to hearing from him!**
Take care everyone,
Josh
Cancer Update
11 months ago

Hope u have a great day Thursday!
ReplyDeleteYou are a remarkable young man. I admire your decision to not drink at all. Yes, I remember how loaded my son was at family gatherings-- disappearing into the bathroom for extended lengths of time. I pray that this Thanksgiving, my son will be clean and not withdrawing. I continue to hope for his true sobriety. You blog is an encouragement to me-- the mother of an addict.
ReplyDeleteYou are right. This is an opportunity to redeem yourself and a sober you will be a wonderful gift to your family.
ReplyDeleteJosh,
ReplyDeleteDo not be thinking of forgiveness on Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is time for giving thanks. Your family has tons to be thankful for with your decisions to be once again the young man they hoped to know. I can see have made the realization that they love you and they are there for you. Be thankful that that their love is unconditional. I don't know your dad and mom but if I heard that from Alex it would be worth every Thanksgiving pain I have had for the last 6 years.
Josh, hey do you get tips if you wait tables, how do they compare to delivery tips? Just wondering :)
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are going to have a good Thanksgiving. Your family will take one look at you and see the changes and that will be AWESOME for them, as well as you. You are every parent of an addict's hope - I wouldn't even mind if my son ever apologizes as long as he stays clean.
You are wise to recognize that one drink is too many. Have a great holiday!
I changed my blog a bit, you can find it it in my profile.