"You're not alone, there is more to this I know-
You can make it out, you can live to tell" -'You're Not Alone', Saosin
One of the biggest fears of every addict is the thought of being alone. Not physically alone, but rather emotionally alone. We feel like everyone abandons us because of our choices. However, that is not even remotely true. It is obvious that there are people who show love and support to addicts, but we just fail to see that, because we are so ashamed of what we have done. Ashamed of the stain we have brought to our families.
Noone is ever really alone. Addiction is a battle that can only be won by the person fighting it, but the person fighting can have as much backup as they wish--and that's where parents, brothers, sisters, cousins, friends, aunts and uncles all come into play. Without the support of those close to you, addiction cannot be conquered. Addiction's only weakness is love. Remember that, and the next time you see or talk to your loved one who is addicted, tell them you love them, and you're there to support them all the way to sobriety. It'll brighten their day, and yours, too.
Take care,
Josh
Cancer Update
10 months ago

Josh, thank you. I need to be reminded of this. I try to keep my words as simple as what you said. Sometimes, I slip and I have to "lecture". I know that counteracts the support of love my son needs. I pray that you are winning the battle of temptation. My son needs to read your blog.
ReplyDeleteI can see how you would feel that. From our side it is not that we have abandoned you because of your choices it is at some point we MUST set some boundaries for ourselves to keep from getting sucked into the world you so hate but find so hard to escape.
ReplyDeleteI know it must seem like abandonement but the truth is there are many many arms outreached with open hands to help you up but YOU must take our hand.
I don't think I can say it any better than Dad & Mom above. I so appreciate your point of view, it is much needed around here. We are here for you and you are not alone.
ReplyDeleteHey! What made you 'see the light' as it were and realised that you wanted to stop? I'm really interested.
ReplyDeleteMy husband doesn't want help, according to him he doesn't have a problem.
I hope you are ok.
I love this: Addiction's only weakness is love. I hope that's true. My son knows I love him. Sometimes love has to be be "tough" and I am not so great at that but am learning.
ReplyDeleteIs there anything your parents could have done differently that would have helped you sooner? I think us parents out here want to pick your brain and learn from you. Thank you so much for opening up and sharing.
Chic Mama- what made me 'see the light' was several of my friends spiraling downward and struggling horribly, and I realized that I didn't want that for myself, and that I wanted to fix things and get better. Your husband might not think he needs help right now, but sooner or later he will see that he does indeed have a problem.
ReplyDeleteBarbara- Yes, it is true...from what I have found, the only weakness to the demon of addiction is love. I came to realize that after my family sat me down and pulled an "intervention". Trust me on that one, love always wins, even if things don't seem good in the start.
As for whether or not there was anything my parents could have done differently...well, nothing really comes to mind. They always did the right thing, told me drugs and alcohol were bad, but I just kinda took free reign of my life and did whatever I wanted to do...they really had a hard time keeping any control over me at all...but they did do the best they could, and for that I must give them credit.
Josh,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing your story and thoughts on this blog. I cried through every posting. You are the same age as my daughter. I only recently found out (opened my eyes to the obvious???) she is addicted to smoking "Roxie". I think this is the same type of drug as OxyCotin, but the pill is melted.
You have given me hope that she will see the truth too one day and want to get help. I am very impressed with your maturity, intelligence, and kindness in doing a blog to (as you said above) clear your head and help others.
Thank you and God bless,
Heather's Mom